The research of many members of the academic staff is informed by cognitive principles, be it in the clinical, social, or even forensic and organisational domains. After all, Cognition is about how we analyse, integrate, and interpret information, which is relevant to most aspects of human behaviour.
In addition to those whose research has a cognitive foundation, though, there are academics in the school whose research focuses directly on an understanding of cognitive processes themselves. This research includes analyses of memory, thought, language, and decision making, with specialists in each of these areas who have a strong international reputation.
They are widely published and have been very successful in attracting research funding from a number of different sources. It is probably fair to say the School of Psychology has one of the strongest groups of cognitive researchers in Australia.
Here is a list of the people within the school who are most involved in cognitive research. Follow the links for further information including full CVs and current projects.
- Project: How Does Uncertainty Guide Attention In Human Learning?
- Project: Automatic and Controlled Attentional Biases in Human Associative Learning
- Project: Understanding Working Memory
- Project: Decision Making: Big and Small
- Project: Computational Models of Cognition
- Project: In Two Minds or Just One? Comparing Intuitive and Analytical Thinking
- Project: How Do People Learn and Reason From Experience? Understanding Inductive Reasoning
- Project: Considering Alternatives in Judgement and Decision-Making
- Project: Inductive Reasoning in Generalization of Conditioned Fear
- Project: Capture and Control: Overcoming Distraction by Reward-Related Stimuli
- Project: Prediction Error Processing in Schizophrenia
- Project: The Sociopath Amongst Us: The Neural Basis of Empathy Disorders
- Project: Understanding the Dynamics of Conversation
- Project: Motivated Attention & Perception
- Project: How Do People Learn and Reason About the World?
- Project: Decision Making in an Uncertain World
- Project: Statistical and Computational Models in Psychological Science
- Project: Irrational, Biased or Predictable? How Do We Make Decisions?
- Project: The Psychology of Climate Change Communication
- Project: Saving for Retirement? If Not, Why Not?