Undergraduate Help Centre

General Questions

Is the Psychology major plan I am following accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC)?

All Psychology major plans taught at UNSW are accredited by APAC. Details are available on the APAC website:


Note that the “Study in Psychology” major plan, offered through the Bachelor of Arts program (UNSW Program Code 3409), is not accredited.

Where can I find policies and procedures for the School of Psychology that are relevant to new and current students?

You can find important information for new and current students in the School of Psychology Student Guide. This document can also be found on Moodle for every psychology course.

Where can I find key dates related to my studies?

Please go to https://student.unsw.edu.au/dates for important dates related to your studies. There, you can view key dates for enrolment, examinations, fees and more.

Academic Advising

What is academic advising?

Academic advising is a process intended to provide, at the earliest opportunity, appropriate guidance for students experiencing academic difficulties. With early intervention by an Academic Advisor, the more serious consequences of continued poor performance may be prevented.

What is Academic Standing?

Academic standing indicates your current progress toward completion of your program. To understand the different levels of academic standing, go to https://student.unsw.edu.au/academic-standing.

How do I apply for academic advising?

WWe encourage you to seek advice from the School, so we can together work out the best possible enrolment plan for you. To make an appointment, please call 9385 3041 or submit a webform.


I am looking for information about my assignments.

Assignment information can be found in the Course Outlines. Detailed assignment instructions are published via the course module on Moodle. If you have any questions about a particular assignment, please contact your tutor or the Course Coordinator.

Building Access

Do students have after-hours access to the Mathews Building?

Honours and postgraduate students are normally given 24/7 access to computer labs inside the Mathews Building. Undergraduate students enrolled in Psychology courses are normally given access to computer labs inside the Mathews Building from 8:00am to 10:00pm, Monday to Friday.

How do I apply for additional access?

Your Supervisor or Course Coordinator will need to authorise the additional access by emailing the School office.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

How do I apply for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)?

  1. Complete a CoE Request Form.
  2. Have your Program Authority approve and sign the form.
  3. Submit the completed form, including any supporting documentation, in person to Student Development International, or email to international.student@unsw.edu.au.

For more information, please visit: https://student.unsw.edu.au/coe

Course Outlines

Where can I find Course Outlines?

Course Outlines for 2012 through to the current year can be found on the School of Psychology website: http://www.psy.unsw.edu.au/current-students/undergraduate/course-outlines.

Course Outlines for years prior to 2012 can be requested by emailing psychology@unsw.edu.au.

Course Selection

What is a General Education course?

Undergraduate students in single degree programs are required to complete some courses outside their study area from any Faculty other than the one in which their program is based. This contributes to the breadth of learning requirement in programs. The Handbook indicates which courses are available as General Education. In some cases, availability of some courses outside of the home Faculty is restricted by the Program Authority, usually because they are closely related to the study area of the student’s program.

Psychology students must choose General Education courses from other faculties within the University, and cannot use any Science courses to fulfil their General Education requirements.

What courses count as a “free elective”?

Free electives can be courses at any level, in any subject area, from any Faculty. As there is no specific list of free electives for you to choose from, if there is a specific subject area that interests you, please search for a course in that subject area in the UNSW Handbook.

I am a first-year undergraduate student. What courses should I enrol in first?

When you first accept your offer, you will receive personalised enrolment advice from UNSW. You can also use the Faculty of Science enrolment guide, School of Psychology sample program plans and the UNSW Handbook for the year that you began your degree.

Should you need assistance, please contact the School of Psychology (UNSW login required)

Where can I find timetables for Psychology courses?

Timetables for Psychology courses are located on http://timetable.unsw.edu.au/2019/PSYCKENS.html#UGRD.

Credit Transfer

Apply for Recognition of Prior Learning 

Cross-institutional Study

How do I apply for cross-institutional study?

Students wishing to gain credit through cross institutional study are required to follow the steps below:

1. Seek permission from UNSW via an Application to Study as a Cross Institutional Student at Another Institution;

2. Submit a formal cross institutional study application to the other institution; and

3. On successful completion of study at the other institution, apply for a credit transfer at UNSW via an Application for Credit / Advanced Standing.

How many courses can I take through cross-institutional study?

Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) and Bachelor of Psychological Science students may be given up to 12 UOC on the basis of cross-institutional study. Where students have undertaken or plan to undertake exchange overseas, cross-institutional study will only be permitted under exceptional circumstances.

Can I study a core psychology course through cross-institutional study?

Student may only replace a core Psychology course (except PSYC2001 and PSYC3001) through cross-institutional study if they have unsuccessfully attempted the course at least once at UNSW.

Do I need to apply for credit transfer after I complete my cross-institutional study?

Yes, it is your responsibility to provide UNSW with official confirmation of your result(s) from the other institution, so that appropriate transfer credit can be recorded on your UNSW student record.

Disability Services

What do I do with my Letter of Support from Disability Services?

Students registered with Disability Services should provide the Letter of Support to their Course Authority via email by the end of Week 1. If registering with Disability Services after the start of the teaching period, the student is to provide the letter within one week of receiving their adjustments. Students are encouraged to speak with teaching staff about their adjustments by the end of Week 2 and whenever they need to during the term.


What is ELISE?

ELISE is an online tutorial designed to introduce new students to studying at UNSW, and is accessed via Moodle.

If you are a commencing student and cannot find ELISE on your Moodle course list please contact the UNSW IT Service Centre.

If you are not in your first semester, you must have already completed the tutorial, and you do not need to do it again.

Further information on ELISE is located at http://subjectguides.library.unsw.edu.au/elise/aboutelise.


How do I enrol in a course?

You can find step-by-step instructions for accessing and enrolling in courses via myUNSW at http://www.gettingstarted.unsw.edu.au/enrol-your-courses-myunsw.

What is an enrolment appointment?

Your enrolment appointment is simply the day and time from which you can begin enrolling online. It is not an appointment for a face-to face interview. The purpose of appointments is to minimise system overload.

Enrolment appointments are assigned to all re-enrolling Undergraduate and Postgraduate Coursework students.

Visit https://student.unsw.edu.au/enrol-appointment for more information.

What is a prerequisite?

It is a course that must have been successfully completed prior to a student undertaking another course, usually due to the need for a student to have particular knowledge in order to successfully engage with the curriculum in the latter course. For example, to enrol in PSYC2061 Social and Developmental Psychology, a student will need to have successfully completed PSYC1001 Psychology 1A and PSYC1011 Psychology 1B, so PSYC1001 and PSYC1011 are prerequisites for PSYC2061.

What is a co-requisite?

A course that must be enrolled in concurrently with another course (unless it has already been completed), usually due to a relationship between the courses in the program curriculum.

Where can I find prerequisite information for my course?

Prerequisites are listed on individual course pages on the UNSW Handbook.

Can I enroll into courses when I do not meet the prerequisite(s)?

Generally, you cannot enrol into a course if you do not meet the pre-requisite(s).

Please contact your Course Authority for further assistance. The School of Psychology (psychology@unsw.edu.au) is the Course Authority for all PSYC-coded courses.

When is the enrolment deadline?

The enrolment deadline is the end of the first week in both semesters. For example, for Semester 1 the enrolment deadline is Sunday, 5 March 2017 and for Semester 2 the enrolment deadline is Sunday, 30 July 2017.

Beyond these deadlines, it is not possible to add or swap courses.

How do I change my enrolment?

You can change your enrolment any time until the enrolment deadline. Please refer to https://student.unsw.edu.au/change-enrolment.

You can find step-by-step instructions for swapping courses and/or classes, dropping courses, and removing pending courses via myUNSW at https://student.unsw.edu.au/update-enrolment-guide.

Can I enrol in a Psychology course after the enrolment deadline?

No. You must ensure that you are correctly enrolled by the enrolment deadline of each semester. Beyond these deadlines, it is not possible to add or swap courses for that semester.

Is it possible to move to a different tutorial after the enrolment deadline?

No, the School of Psychology does not accept late enrolments or a late change to enrolment. No permanent tutorial changes will be made after the first week.

When is the deadline for withdrawing from a course?

You can drop courses via myUNSW until the last day of the teaching period (inclusive). The teaching period dates can be found on the Academic Calendar: https://student.unsw.edu.au/calendar. There are implications for your financial liability and/or academic record, depending on the timing at which you drop a course.

What happens if I drop a course on or before the Census Date?

If you drop a course on or before the Census Date:

• You will not be financially liable for the course.

• The course will not appear on your transcript.

• The course will not be included in the calculation of your Weighted Average Mark (WAM).

• The course will not be included in the calculation of your academic standing.

You can drop courses via myUNSW. For more information, see https://student.unsw.edu.au/late-enrolment.

What happens if I drop a course on or before the deadline to discontinue without academic penalty (but after the Census Date)?

If you drop a course on or before this deadline (but after the Census Date):

• You will be financially liable for the course.

• The course will not appear on your transcript.

• The course will not be included in the calculation of your WAM.

• The course will not be included in the calculation of your academic standing.

You can drop courses via myUNSW. For more information, see https://student.unsw.edu.au/late-enrolment.

What happens if I discontinue or drop a course after the deadline to discontinue without academic penalty and on or before the last day of the teaching period?

If you drop a course after the deadline to discontinue without academic penalty on or before the last day of the teaching period:

• You will be financially liable for the course.

• The course will appear on your transcript with a grade of AW (Academic Withdrawal).

• The course will not be included in the calculation of your WAM.

• The course will be included in the calculation of your academic standing as units of credit attempted but not passed.

You can drop courses via myUNSW. For more information, see https://student.unsw.edu.au/late-enrolment.


When are my exams going to be held?

Final exams are held during the official UNSW exam period. Please see https://student.unsw.edu.au/exam-dates for further information. Exam timetables are published through myUNSW.

Is it possible to sit my exam early?

No, it is not possible to sit an exam prior to the scheduled date. All students are expected to be available during the entire exam period. Individual arrangements for exams are not possible.

Is it possible to change the exam time for my Psychology course?

No. The University exam timetable is determined by the UNSW Student Administration and Records Office, not by the School.

I have an exam timetable clash.

If you have a timetable clash, the UNSW Exams Team will re-arrange your examination and will notify you approximately two weeks prior to the commencement of the exam period, notifying you of the arrangements for your clashing exams.

I am currently enrolled in PSYC1001 / PSYC1011. Is it possible to attend a make-up tutorial for the mid-semester exam?

No, you must attend the tutorial that you are enrolled in; otherwise, you will not be allowed to take the exam.

I am a Disability Services student with special exam provisions and am currently enrolled in PSYC1001. Do I attend my regular tutorial for the PSYC1001 mid-semester exam?

No, the School will arrange paper-based mid-semester exams for Disability Services students with special exam requirements. You will be notified via your UNSW email account.

I am a Disability Services student with special exam provisions. How do I find out when my exam will be held?

The UNSW Exams Team, not Disability Services, will contact you via email prior to exam week confirming your provisions and the details of the day, time and place your exams will be held. When you receive the email from the UNSW Exams Team, it is important that you check the exam adjustments are as you discussed with your Disability Adviser.

If you believe that the exam adjustments in the email are not the same as outlined in your Letter of Support, please contact Disability Services immediately via email.


I am a UNSW student studying Psychology. Is it possible for me to go on exchange?

Yes, it is possible for Psychology students to go on exchange. A guide for outbound exchange students is available on the School website.

How many Level 3 Psychology electives may I take while on exchange?

Students are required to complete at least one Stream A course and one Stream B course at UNSW from the list of Level 3 Psychology electives. You should keep that in mind when selecting the courses you will take while on exchange.

I am an inbound exchange student. Can you enrol me in a Psychology course?

Enrolment for exchange students are processed by the UNSW Exchange Office, not by the School. You must submit an exchange course request via Endeavour, and it must be approved by the Course Authority before you can be enrolled in the course.

Fee Remission / Withdrawal without Penalty

How do I apply for Fee Remission?

  1. Complete a Fee Remission Application.
  2. Have the form completed and signed by the relevant Course Authority.
  3. Submit the form to Student Central together with the supporting documentation, or the School can submit the form to Student Central for you if you have provided the supporting documentation.

For more information please visit: https://student.unsw.edu.au/fee-remission

Is there a deadline for submitting a Fee Remission Application?

You must apply within 12 months of withdrawing from the course, or in the event that you did not withdraw, within 12 months of the end of the teaching period in which the course was undertaken.

Graduation / Progression

Am I eligible to graduate?

In order to graduate, you must have completed all requirements for your degree program. You can use the School of Psychology sample plans in conjunction with the UNSW Handbook for the year you commenced your degree, to determine if you have completed your degree requirements.

If you are confused about your graduation status or you need advice, contact your Program Authority. The School of Psychology (psychology@unsw.edu.au) is the Program Authority for Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) and Bachelor of Psychological Science students.

Please also refer to https://student.unsw.edu.au/graduation-eligibility to ensure you have met all non-academic requirements for graduation (for example, not having any debt).

How do I find out my graduation date?

You will be allocated a graduation date once your degree has been conferred. You can find the UNSW schedule for graduation ceremonies at https://student.unsw.edu.au/graduation-ceremonies. You must RSVP to your ceremony via myUNSW.

For more information about graduation, please refer to https://student.unsw.edu.au/graduation-details.

This is my last semester of study. How do I check that I am on track to graduate?

If you would like to check what courses you need to complete to meet the requirements of your Psychology degree program, please request a Progression Check.

I still have a few semesters left to complete before graduation. Can I still have my progression checked?

Yes. Applying for a progression check will determine whether or not you have completed the right courses in the right sequence so that you are on track to complete your degree within the standard timeframe.

Request a Progression Check Online.

Internal Program Transfer (IPT)

How do I apply for IPT to the Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) or the Bachelor of Psychological Science program?

Please refer to the Internal Program Transfer pages of the UNSW website as this provides all requirements for a transfer to the Bachelor of Psychology or Bachelor of Psychological Science: https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-science.

Application dates and information on the application process are provided at https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt.

Is it possible to apply for IPT if I have just completed another degree at UNSW?

No, you will not be eligible for IPT if you have completed your degree. You will need to lodge a new application via UAC (domestic students) or Direct Admissions (international students).


When will I have access to my course on Moodle?

The Moodle sites will be available from Monday of Week 0 (O-Week) for courses you are enrolled in.

I would like my courses for previous semesters to be removed from my Moodle course list.

Previous courses on Moodle will be removed by Moodle Management during the semester break.

When are the lecture slides uploaded on Moodle?

It is up to individual lecturers as to when the lecture slides are uploaded to Moodle. The slides will be uploaded under the lecture tab. If these do not appear within 24 hours of the evening lecture, please contact psychology@unsw.edu.au, and we will send a query to the lecturer.

The Echo recordings do not seem to be working.

The Echo recording system is like any other web-based service. There are times when the recordings are not available. These technical faults are beyond our control. You can check the IT services page for details of any current interruptions. You can also find details there of how to contact IT services.

I cannot access online lectures.

Please contact UNSW IT Services.


When will I receive results for the current semester?

Your results are emailed to your UNSW email account and posted on myUNSW. Please visit https://student.unsw.edu.au/results for further information including the official dates for the release of results.

How do I apply for a review of results?

If you would like to have your results reviewed, please submit a Review of Results Application.

You must submit your application to Student Central no later than 15 working days after the return of the piece of work or, in the case of an exam, 15 working days from the date of release of results. Please see https://student.unsw.edu.au/results for more information.

Will the final exam marks be posted on Moodle?

No, final exam marks will not be posted on Moodle.

Special Consideration

How do I apply for Special Consideration?

You can apply for Special Consideration when illness or other circumstances beyond your control interfere with your assessment performance. Please see https://student.unsw.edu.au/special-consideration and the Psychology Student Guide for more information.

Sona Research Participation

How do I activate my Sona account?

To sign on, your user ID is your student number (without the “z”, i.e., 1234567). Your password is initially set to “pw” and your student ID (i.e., pw1234567). We recommend that you change your password when you have logged on.

If you enrol after O-Week, or if you encounter any difficulties logging on to Sona, please contact sona@psy.unsw.edu.au. Please note all correspondence from Sona is sent to your student email account, which you should check regularly.

I am repeating PSYC1001. Do I need to participate in Sona again if I have completed the required studies last year?

Yes, you must complete the required Sona studies again as Sona participation is not transferrable.

Stream Declaration

How can I declare or change my major?

Use the Stream Declaration service on myUNSW to:

1. View your current stream,

2. Declare your stream, or

3. Change your stream.

The Stream Declaration service on myUNSW is located at https://my.unsw.edu.au/active/studentStreamChange/reset.xml.

What is my Plan Code?

Your Plan Code appears on your Academic Statement, which can be viewed via myUNSW.

Summer Research Scholarships

How do I apply for Summer Research Scholarships?

Information on Summer Research Scholarship can be found at: https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/svrs

Supplementary Exams

When will the supplementary exam be held for my Psychology course?

Please refer to “Supplementary Exams” section of the Psychology Student Guide.

Is it possible to sit the supplementary exam at another time?

No, please make sure that you are available for the entire supplementary exam period, as the opportunity for a supplementary exam for each course will only be offered once.

I am a Disability Services student. Will I receive my Disability Services provisions for a supplementary exam?

Yes, all Disability Services provisions will apply to supplementary exams. You must send your Letter of Support to psychology@unsw.edu.au, if you have not provided it at the start of the semester.

Timetable Clashes

How do I apply for a timetable clash?

Request a Timetable Clash online.

Tuition Fees

I am looking for tuition fee information.

Information on tuition fees can be found on: https://student.unsw.edu.au/fees-to-pay

Unit Load

How many courses should I enrol in a semester?

Full-time students should enrol in four courses (24 UOC) each semester to finish their program in time.

Part-time students must enrol in a minimum of one course (6 UOC) per semester.

International students must enrol in four courses (24 UOC) per semester, unless they have been given permission to reduce their study load by the School of Psychology.

Students in the Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) program must be enrolled in 24 UOC each semester.

Reduced study load is only permitted in exceptional circumstances.

Can I enrol in more than four courses (24 UOC) in a semester?

There is a maximum unit load each semester of 24 UOC. Enrolling in more than 24 UOC is considered overloading. A request to overload will only be approved if a student has completed at least 48 UOC at UNSW, and has a cumulative WAM greater than 65.

Students in their final year of study can apply to overload if they will not be able to complete all necessary subjects in order to graduate.

Students can only overload by a maximum of one course (6 UOC).

An application to overload must be submitted before the deadline to add courses for the relevant teaching period.

To apply for study overload students have to lodge an application to overload.

Can I study psychology part-time?

Students can only study part-time if they are enrolled in the Bachelor of Psychological Science (3435) degree.

If a student is enrolled in the Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) degree (3632), they must enroll full-time (that is, 24 UOC per semester).

In Profile

Student Guide

Student Guide

The School of Psychology Student Guide for undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students is available now. The Guide contains important information on University and School policies and should be read by all Psychology students.

Read now…